• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Did Virgil throw the last fight?

Taramafor

The last attack. Virgil is sooooo sloppy. Missing Dante altogether. This isn't what Virgil does when fighting. He's too focused for that.

The only way to make sense of this is that a part of Virgil wanted to lose. So he puts on a show of trying to attack Dante in the last attack before falling off the cliff. He already knew he was beaten when he fell down already. And he's too prideful to admit he lost at that point.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Maybe he was just fatigued/wounded from the boss fight he just lost?

Radical concept, I know.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
He uses the force edge, he is not as skilled with that type of sword as dante is

Likely a factor of dante's will, not using yamato and fatigue being low. Plus vergil is proud and losing to dante would effect him mentally which can impact performance.

Don't think he threw the last attack though. Willpower has a massive impact in fights with stakes.

Taramafor

Maybe he was just fatigued/wounded from the boss fight he just lost?

Radical concept, I know.
Charging foward and trying to swring down when passing past someone is a rookie mistake. Virgil is not a rookie. Watch how far forward he's moving past Dante before the sword even starts to come down.

I think Virgil was too proud to admit defeat and had to go down trying. Dante made it clear he wanted to end the fight. Virgil agreed. Virgil was likely more conflcited at that current point in time. Leading to hesitation. Which is very rare for Virgil.

In the first fight in the game Virgil made every valid point. Dante had no chance. Dante lost the first fight because Virgil was quite correct in his statements. Shattering Dante's willpower and drive to fight.

In the last fight Dante is trying to get Virgil to get up and do better. Somewhat encouraging him to try. So Virgil is left doubting himself and wondering. Which leads to hesitation. In this situation it's Virgil's willpower that gets shattered. Which is great. It contrasts what happened in the first fight (the second being more of a draw).

In the end Virgil could only accept defeat when he fell off the cliff. He just didn't want to admit it (eg: say it). His actions make it clear enough though. He knew he lost.

CaitNíSé_D_Huntress

I don't think he threw it, i think he was just mentally defeated more than physically and dante was more determined to win.

May have ended in both of them unconcious if he had used yamato instead of the force edge, since yamato is his signature weapon.

Cosmefulanito94

In past I believed that Vergil let Dante win because he didn't want that his lil brother stay trapped in the underworld because quoting him:

"Leave me and go, if you don’t want to be trapped in the Demon World"

And the DVD-Book Trinity of Fates said that when Vergil told to Dante to leave the Demon World on last mission wasn't to gets all the power of Sparda to him but he wanted that Dante had a life like a human.

So, we can conclude that he got the last attack intentionally for the sake of Dante.

But the DMC5 plot is "I never could defeat Dante. I'm so weak because there is human blood in my veins so I am going to use Yamato to separate my human side from the demon side" and that mutated into Urizen and its motivation was only "Danteeee I need kill Daaaaanteeee"

In conclusion, no, Vergil lost that final battle in DMC3 thanks to the retcon from DMC5.

Top Bottom